surrogate adj : providing or receiving nurture or parental care though not related by blood or legal ties; "foster parent"; "foster child"; "foster home"; "surrogate father" [syn: foster]
2 a person appointed to represent or act on behalf of others [syn: deputy]
EtymologyFrom surrogatus, perfect passive participle of surrogare; a variant of subrogare, from sub + rogare.
- A substitute (usually of a person, position or role).
- A person or animal that acts as a substitute for the social or pastoral role of another, such as a surrogate mother.
- In the context of "chiefly|UK": A deputy for a bishop in granting licences for marriage.
- : A judicial officer of limited jurisdiction, who administers matters of probate and intestate succession and, in some cases, adoptions.
- A surrogate or surrogate key is a unique identifier for either an entity in the modeled world or an object in the database.
A person or animal that acts as a subsitute for another
A deputy for a bishop in granting licences for marriage
US law: A judicial officer of limited jurisdiction
Translations to be checked
- Of, concerning, relating to or acting as a substitute.
- Feminine plural form of surrogato
Surrogate (from Lat. subrŏgare, to substitute for) may refer to:
- Surrogate (clergy), a deputy of a bishop or ecclesiastical judge
- Surrogate pregnancy, an arrangement for a woman to carry and give birth to a child who will be raised by others
- Surrogate Court or Probate Court, a court primarily concerned with the distribution of assets of a decedent
- Surrogate marriage, a custom in African culture
- Sex surrogate, in sexual therapy
- Author surrogate or audience surrogate, reciprocal literary techniques
- Surrogate endpoint, a measure of effect in clinical trials
- Surrogate key, a unique key used to identify entities in the modelled world
- Surrogate Paintings, by American artist Allan McCollum
- Surrogate (band), a shoegazer rock/indie rock band from Chico, California that is currently signed to Tooth & Nail Records
- Surrogate code point or surrogate pair, in the Unicode encoding form UTF-16
- Surro-Gate, an episode of American Dad!
advocate, agent, alter ego, alternate, alternative, amicus curiae, analogy, attorney, backup, backup man, champion, change, changeling, comparison, copy, counterfeit, deputy, double, dummy, equal, equivalent, ersatz, exchange, executive officer, exponent, fake, father figure, father image, figurehead, fill-in, ghost, ghostwriter, imitation, lieutenant, locum, locum tenens, makeshift, metaphor, metonymy, mother figure, mother surrogate, next best thing, paranymph, personnel, phony, pinch hitter, pleader, procurator, proxy, relief, replacement, representative, reserves, ringer, second in command, second string, secondary, sign, spares, stand-in, sub, substituent, substitute, substitution, succedaneum, superseder, supplanter, symbol, synecdoche, third string, token, understudy, utility man, utility player, vicar, vicar general, vice, vice-president, vice-regent, vicegerent